- Botanical Name
- Raphanus sativus
- Annual, some winter varieties are biennial
- 6 to 18 inches
- 6 to 9 inches
- Full sun to part shade
- Moist, well-drained, cool
- Planting & Care
- Radishes germinate and grow best in cool temperatures of 55°F to 65°F. Warmer temperatures result in poor flavor and bolting.
- Begin sowing 3 to 6 weeks before the last frost date. Plant seeds 1/4 to 1/2 inches deep.
- Thin spring varieties to 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Thin larger winter radishes to 6 inches.
- Space rows 12 inches apart
- Radishes can also be sown in an open bed and thinned to ideal spacing
- Radishes help break up the soil for slower maturing carrots, turnips and parsnips when they are sown together
- For a continual harvest, sow in 1 to 2 week intervals until temperatures average 60°F. Resume planting again in fall when the temperatures cool. Or make a single spring planting of different varieties that will mature at different times during the season.
- Radishes mature quickly and can be interplanted with later maturing vegetables such as cabbage, tomato or squash
- Root maggots
- Burpee White - round, white skin, 25 days to harvest
- Plum Purple - deep magenta skin, 25 days to harvest
- Icicle - long, slim, white, 25 days to harvest
- China Rose - winter radish, white, 52 days to harvest
- Round Black Spanish - winter radish, black skin, 55 days to harvest
- Rivoli - uniform roots with bright white flesh, All-America Selections winner
- Roxanne - bright red roots with creamy white interior, holds well in the garden, AAS winner
- Sweet Baby - purple, white, rose-colored, crunchy and slightly spicy, AAS winner
April 21, 2021
Plant a Landscape that
Makes a Difference
May 5, 2021
Tomatoes: Maximize Your Harvest & Minimize Insects & Disease
May 12, 2021
Top Plants for Rain Gardens, Water Gardens & Shoreline Gardens
+ Those to Avoid
May 13, 2021
Planting Your Rain Garden
May 16, 2021
Perennials for Challenging
June 3, 2021
Creative Container Gardening
Register today! Plus, watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND
for a limited time.