- Botanical Name
- Lactuca sativa
- 6 to 24 inches
- 6 to 24 inches
- Full sun to part shade
- Moist, well-drained, rich in organic matter
- Planting & Care
- Lettuce best germinates in temps between 40°F and 70°F
- Begin sowing in early spring as soon as the ground can be worked. Plant seeds 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Seeds need light to germinate so do not plant too deep. Sow seeds 1 inch apart in rows spaced 12 to 18 inches apart
- As the plants develop 2 to 3 true leaves, thin to 4 inches for leaf lettuce, 6 to 8 inches for Butterhead varieties and 10 to 12 inches for Crisphead lettuce varieties.
- Lettuce can also be broadcast into a patch rather than planting in rows. Thin and space accordingly.
- Add trimmed seedlings in salads or sandwiches.
- Lettuce can also be started indoors and set in the garden as transplants. Begin sowing 3 to 4 weeks before planting outdoors. For a continual harvest, repeat sow every 10 to 14 days up until June
- Lettuce does not grow well in the heat of summer. Look for more bolt-resistant and heat tolerant varieties for later plantings.
- Consistent even moisture is critical to lettuce germination and growth. Lettuce will bolt in high temperatures and dry soil
- Mulch soil around plants to retain moisture, moderate soil temperature and suppress weeds
- Use floating row covers to protect plants from insects, cold and the direct heat of the sun as the season warms
- Aphids, cabbage worms, cabbage loopers, leafminers, damping off, foliage rot
- Red Sails - slow to bolt, red leaves, great in containers, ornamental value, All-America Selections winner
- Oak Leaf - good hot weather variety
- Tom Thumb - Butterhead type, compact 5 to 7", fast growing, heat tolerant
- Freckles - ornamental green leaves blotted with red specks, heat tolerant
- Buttercrunch - heat tolerant, Bibb-type, good bolt resistance, AAS winner
May 12, 2021
Top Plants for Rain Gardens, Water Gardens & Shoreline Gardens
+ Those to Avoid
May 13, 2021
Planting Your Rain Garden
May 16, 2021
Perennials for Challenging
May 21-23, 2021
NARI Milwaukee Spring Home Improvement Show
June 3, 2021
Creative Container Gardening
June 9, 2021
Sustainable Lawn & Landscape Care
Register today! Plus, watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND
for a limited time.