- Botanical Name
- Cucumis melo
- 12 to 18 inches
- 3 to 12 feet
- Orange, green, yellow, white and pink fleshed varieties in a number of different sizes, shapes, and textures
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, fertile, warm
- Planting & Care
- Melons germinate in warm temperatures of 60 F to 95 F
- Direct seed after last frost and soil has warmed to an ideal 70 F and above. Plant seeds in hills 1/2 inch deep, 6 seeds per hill. Thin to 2 or 3 plants per hill. Space hills 4 to 6 feet apart
- Or sow seeds in rows - spacing plants 12 to 24 inches apart. Set rows 5 feet apart
- When growing in areas with cooler temperatures or a shorter growing season, select varieties that are fast growing or start plants indoors 3 to 4 weeks before planting outside
- Your seedlings should have no more than one or two true sets of leaves when transplanted. When growing transplants, plant seed in individual peat pots so not to damage this plant's tender roots.
- Melons do not transplant well when their roots are disturbed
- Space transplants at 2 or 3 plants per hill. Space hills 4 to 6 feet apart. Or plant in rows - spacing plants 12 to 24 inches apart. Set rows 5 feet apart.
- Trellis plants at seeding to avoid damaging the sensitive roots. Trellising allows for closer spacing.
- You can provide additional support to fruit with the use of slings
- Mulch the soil around plants to conserve moisture, suppress weeds and regulate soil temperature
- If using floating row covers, remove once the plants begin to flower to allow bees to pollinate
- Cucumber beetles, fusarium wilt, bacterial wilt, cucumber mosaic virus, aphids, squash vine borer, squash bugs, powdery mildew
- Honey Brew - honeydew type, good disease resistance
- Harper Hybrid - muskmelon; good disease resistance
- Casaba Golden Beauty - white flesh, spicy sweet
Jan. 27, 2021
Low Maintenance Houseplants
for Low Light Situations
Feb. 3, 2021
Organic Control for
Feb. 10, 2021
Getting Started Growing
Vegetable & Flower Gardens
Plus, you can watch Melinda's past webinars on demand for a limited time.