- Botanical Name
- Cucurbita maxima, C. pepo, C. moschata, C. argyrosperma
- 18 to 36 inches
- 5 to 15 feet
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, organic
- Planting & Care
- Pumpkins require warm soil temperatures of 70°F to 105°F to germinate. Hold off planting in spring until the soil has reached this temperature and all danger of frost has passed.
- VINING: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 5 to 6 feet apart, in rows 10 to 15 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 to 3 plants per hill.
- BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per foot of row. Space rows 4 to 6 feet apart. Thin seedlings to a single plant every 3 feet.
- SEMI-BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 4 feet apart, in rows 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 plants per hill.
- MINIATURE: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per 2 feet of row. Space rows 6 to 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 1 plant every 2 feet.
- Mulch soil around plants to retain moisture and suppress weeds
- Mound soil around the base of plants to discourage squash vine borers from laying eggs
- Use a floating row cover early in the season to warm the soil and combat insects. Be sure to remove before flowering to allow for pollination.
- Powdery mildew, cucumber beetles, squash bugs, squash vine borer
- Baby Bear - small fruit, flattened shape
- Big Autumn - yellow when mature, large fruit
- Cucurbita maxima 'Atlantic Giant' - jumbo fruit
- Cucurbita pepo 'Baby Boo' - miniature, white
- Orange Smoothie - petite 5-8 pound fruit with smooth skin, All-America Selections winner
- Hijinks - 7-9 pound fruit, AAS winner
- Cindarella's Carriage - very attractive, bright reddish-orange Cindarella-type pumpkin, powdery mildew resistant, AAS winner
- Super Moon - up to 50 pounds, smooth, white skin with yellow flesh, AAS winner
- Pepitas - highly ornamental, 9-12 pound pumpkins, orange exterior is marbled with green, seeds are hulless and ideal for slow roasting, AAS winner
- Blue Prince - 7-9 pound ornamental blue flattened pumpkins, early to mature, great tasting, AAS winner
Upcoming Webinars & Appearances
Feb. 4, 2023
WCBA's Home Building &
West Bend, Wisconsin
Feb. 8, 2023
Indoor Container Garden Design & Display Ideas
Feb. 10-12, 2023
Garden & Landscape EXPO
Feb. 15, 2023
10 Tips for Growing Better Dahlias!
Feb. 17-19, 2023
NARI Milwaukee Spring Home Improvement Show
West Allis, Wisconsin
Feb. 22, 2023
Grow Beautiful Water Gardens
Watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND