- Botanical Name
- Cucurbita maxima, C. pepo, C. moschata, C. argyrosperma
- 18 to 36 inches
- 5 to 15 feet
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, organic
- Planting & Care
- Pumpkins require warm soil temperatures of 70°F to 105°F to germinate. Hold off planting in spring until the soil has reached this temperature and all danger of frost has passed.
- VINING: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 5 to 6 feet apart, in rows 10 to 15 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 to 3 plants per hill.
- BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per foot of row. Space rows 4 to 6 feet apart. Thin seedlings to a single plant every 3 feet.
- SEMI-BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 4 feet apart, in rows 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 plants per hill.
- MINIATURE: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per 2 feet of row. Space rows 6 to 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 1 plant every 2 feet.
- Mulch soil around plants to retain moisture and suppress weeds
- Mound soil around the base of plants to discourage squash vine borers from laying eggs
- Use a floating row cover early in the season to warm the soil and combat insects. Be sure to remove before flowering to allow for pollination.
- Powdery mildew, cucumber beetles, squash bugs, squash vine borer
- Baby Bear - small fruit, flattened shape
- Big Autumn - yellow when mature, large fruit
- Cucurbita maxima 'Atlantic Giant' - jumbo fruit
- Cucurbita pepo 'Baby Boo' - miniature, white
- Orange Smoothie - petite 5-8 pound fruit with smooth skin, All-America Selections winner
- Hijinks - 7-9 pound fruit, AAS winner
- Cindarella's Carriage - very attractive, bright reddish-orange Cindarella-type pumpkin, powdery mildew resistant, AAS winner
- Super Moon - up to 50 pounds, smooth, white skin with yellow flesh, AAS winner
- Pepitas - highly ornamental, 9-12 pound pumpkins, orange exterior is marbled with green, seeds are hulless and ideal for slow roasting, AAS winner
- Blue Prince - 7-9 pound ornamental blue flattened pumpkins, early to mature, great tasting, AAS winner
Upcoming Webinars & Appearances
Home & Remodeling Show
Webinar: Year-round Perennial
Webinar: Boosting the Beauty of
and Propagating Houseplants
June 3 – 11, 2023
“Castles & Gardens” Adventure in Ireland with Melinda Myers
Includes the Bloom Festival in Dublin!
CLICK HERE for more information on Melinda's 2022 Wisconsin State Fair presentations on
Affordable Food Gardening
CLICK HERE for pollinator gardening webinars, videos & DIY projects
Watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND