- Botanical Name
- Cucurbita maxima, C. pepo, C. moschata, C. argyrosperma
- 18 to 36 inches
- 5 to 15 feet
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, organic
- Planting & Care
- Pumpkins require warm soil temperatures of 70 F to 105 F to germinate. Hold off planting in spring until the soil has reached this temperature and all danger of frost has passed.
- VINING: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 5 to 6 feet apart, in rows 10 to 15 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 to 3 plants per hill.
- BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per foot of row. Space rows 4 to 6 feet apart. Thin seedlings to a single plant every 3 feet.
- SEMI-BUSH: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 4 or 5 seeds per hill. Space hills 4 feet apart, in rows 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 2 plants per hill.
- MINIATURE: Sow seeds 1 inch deep, 1 to 2 seeds per 2 feet of row. Space rows 6 to 8 feet apart. Thin seedlings to 1 plant every 2 feet.
- Mulch soil around plants to retain moisture and suppress weeds
- Mound soil around the base of plants to discourage squash vine borers from laying eggs
- Use a floating row cover early in the season to warm the soil and combat insects. Be sure to remove before flowering to allow for pollination.
- Powdery mildew, cucumber beetles, squash bugs, squash vine borer
- Baby Bear - small fruit, flattened shape
- Big Autumn - yellow when mature, large fruit
- Cucurbita maxima 'Atlantic Giant' - jumbo fruit
- Cucurbita pepo 'Baby Boo' - miniature, white
October 19 & 20
Home & Remodeling Show
West Allis, WI
The Clearing Folk School - Door County
Ellison Bay, WI
The Conservancy for Healing & Heritage