- Botanical Name
- Zones 4 to 8
- 4 to 6 feet
- 2 feet plus
- Tiny purplish-pink
- Green, maturing to purple or yellow
- Full sun to partial shade
- Moist, well-drained
- Planting & Care
- Gooseberries are still banned in come communities. Check before planting.
- Grow in a cool location with good air circulation to reduce disease problems
- Properly space and plant on a trellis to reduce disease problems
- Powdery mildew, anthracnose, leaf spot, aphids, borers, stem girdlers
- American gooseberries are smaller but more resistant to mildew than the European types. European types produce larger and better tasting fruit.
- Pixwell Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum 'Pixwell') - Zones 3-8, fast grower up to 5'
Upcoming Webinars & Appearances
Feb. 4, 2023
WCBA's Home Building &
West Bend, WI
Feb. 10-12, 2023
Garden & Landscape EXPO
June 3 – 11, 2023
“Castles & Gardens” Adventure in Ireland with Melinda Myers
Includes the Bloom Festival in Dublin!
CLICK HERE for more information on Melinda's 2022 Wisconsin State Fair presentations on
Affordable Food Gardening
CLICK HERE for pollinator gardening webinars, videos & DIY projects
Watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND