- Botanical Name
- Cucumis sativus
- 1 to 6 feet
- 1 to 6 feet
- Mid summer to early fall: yellow
- Wide variety of sizes, shapes and colors
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, fertile
- Planting & Care
- Cucumbers grow best and thrive in warm temperatures. Ideal soil temperature for germination and growth is between 65°F and 90°F.
- Direct sow when danger of frost has passed and the soil has warmed. Sow seeds 1 to 11/2 deep, 2 inches apart in rows spaced 5 to 6 feet apart.
- Thin plants to 8 to 15 inches apart. Or plant in hills. Sow 3 to 6 seeds per hill, space hills 3 to 5 feet apart. Thin to 2 to 3 plants per hill.
- For an earlier harvest, start plants indoors 3 to 4 weeks before the last frost date and transplant outdoors when the soil has warmed. Sow 2 to 3 seeds per peat pot or other small container. Thin to one plant per container. Space transplants 1 to 2 feet apart in rows 5 to 6 feet apart.
- Successive plant every 2 to 3 weeks until about 3 months before the first frost date for a continual harvest
- Trellis to save space and improve air circulation
- Adequate moisture is important to cucumber growth
- Mulch the soil to retain moisture and suppress weeds
- Cucumber beetles, aphids, squash vine borer, bacterial wilt, powdery mildew, cucumber mosaic virus
- Burpless - long fruit, good for trellising
- Straight 8 - All-America Selections winner, 8" straight fruit
- Fanfare - AAS winner, good disease resistance, high yield
- Diva - crisp, sweet flesh, seedless, produces all female flowers, high yielding, AAS winner
- Saladmore - semi-bush vine, good disease resistance, pick smaller fruit for pickles and larger for slicing and spears, AAS winner
- Pick a Bushel - compact, bush-type, great for containers, great for pickling when harvested early, AAS winner
- Parisan Gherkin - mini cucumber, semi-vining, good for staking in containers, good disease resistance, AAS winner
- Green Light - mini cucumer, high yielding, spineless fruit, all female flowers, AAS winner
Upcoming Webinars & Appearances
Feb. 4, 2023
WCBA's Home Building &
West Bend, WI
Feb. 10-12, 2023
Garden & Landscape EXPO
June 3 – 11, 2023
“Castles & Gardens” Adventure in Ireland with Melinda Myers
Includes the Bloom Festival in Dublin!
CLICK HERE for more information on Melinda's 2022 Wisconsin State Fair presentations on
Affordable Food Gardening
CLICK HERE for pollinator gardening webinars, videos & DIY projects
Watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND