- Botanical Name
- Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris
- Full sun to part shade
- Moist, well-drained
- Planting & Care
- Beets best germinate in temperature between 50 F to 85 F.
- Sow outdoors 30 days before last expected frost; sow seeds 1/2 inch deep, 1 inch apart in rows 12-18 inches apart. Thin to 1-3 inch when plants are 4 to 5 inches tall.
- Cut rather than pull seedling to avoid disturbing surrounding plants. Eat the thinned greens by adding to salads or sandwiches.
- Successive plant thru late summer.
- Mulch to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Beets perform best and produce better color and flavor in cool weather in soil that is both well weeded and has consistent moisture.
- Harvest both the roots & the foliage.
- Aphids, leafminers, leaf spot, downy mildew
- Ruby Queen - All-America Selections winner, round, uniform shape
- Sweetheart - foliage great for greens, very sweet roots
- Red Ace - early variety, heat tolerant, sweet flavor
- Golden - early golden variety, sweet flavor
February 14 & 15 , 2020
Milwaukee NARI Spring Home Improvement Show
West Allis, WI
February 22 , 2020
Michiana Master Gardeners'
Feb. 25, 2020
SC Johnson's Golden Rondelle Theater