- Botanical Name
- Cynara scolymus
- Zones 6 to 9, annual elsewhere
- 3 to 6 feet
- 2 to 4 feet
- Mid fall: violet (thistle-like)
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, fertile
- Planting & Care
- Plant root divisions after last frost, space 2 to 3 feet apart in rows 21/2 to 3 feet apart.
- Cut back and provide winter protection.
- Divide every 3 years.
- Plants usually don't flower their first year.
- Violetto - purple variety
- Imperial Star - 3' tall
- Grande Buerre - up to 9' tall
Upcoming Webinars & Appearances
Feb. 4, 2023
WCBA's Home Building &
West Bend, WI
Feb. 10-12, 2023
Garden & Landscape EXPO
June 3 – 11, 2023
“Castles & Gardens” Adventure in Ireland with Melinda Myers
Includes the Bloom Festival in Dublin!
CLICK HERE for more information on Melinda's 2022 Wisconsin State Fair presentations on
Affordable Food Gardening
CLICK HERE for pollinator gardening webinars, videos & DIY projects
Watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND