- Botanical Name
- Cynara scolymus
- Zones 6 to 9, annual elsewhere
- 3 to 6 feet
- 2 to 4 feet
- Mid fall: violet (thistle-like)
- Full sun
- Moist, well-drained, fertile
- Planting & Care
- Plant root divisions after last frost, space 2 to 3 feet apart in rows 21/2 to 3 feet apart.
- Cut back and provide winter protection.
- Divide every 3 years.
- Plants usually don't flower their first year.
- Violetto - purple variety
- Imperial Star - 3' tall
- Grande Buerre - up to 9' tall
April 27, 2021
Well Loved Wisconsin Garden Plants
May 5, 2021
Tomatoes: Maximize Your Harvest & Minimize Insects & Disease
May 12, 2021
Top Plants for Rain Gardens, Water Gardens & Shoreline Gardens
+ Those to Avoid
May 13, 2021
Planting Your Rain Garden
May 16, 2021
Perennials for Challenging
June 3, 2021
Creative Container Gardening
June 9, 2021
Sustainable Lawn & Landscape Care
Register today! Plus, watch Melinda's past webinars ON DEMAND
for a limited time.