- Botanical Name
- Scaevola aemula
- Zones 10 to 11, grown as annual elsewhere
- 9 to 18 inches
- 12 to 24 inches
- Summer till frost: shades of blue, violet
- Full sun to part shade
- Planting & Care
- Sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before last frost
- Use several plants in a container or space 20 to 24 inches apart in the garden
- Drought and salt tolerant
- Fan flower can be overwintered indoors. Take 3 to 4 cuttings and root in moist vermiculite or a well-drained potting mix. I find setting the pot in a plastic bag left open increases the humidity to encourage rooting without leading to rot. Once rooted, they can be moved to their permanent container, placed in a sunny location and grow as a houseplant.
- You can also bring the whole plant indoors and raise it like a houseplant. Grow in a bright, sunny window or under artificial lights and keep the soil moist. Don't be alarmed if the plant drops most of its leaves. It will soon send out new leaves more suited for its indoor location.
- None serious
- Blue Wonder - dark blue flowers
- Whirlwind White - white flowers
February 22 , 2020
Michiana Master Gardeners'
Feb. 25, 2020
SC Johnson's Golden Rondelle Theater
Feb. 27-March 1, 2020
Fort Wayne Home & Garden Show
Fort Wayne, IN