Grow Your Own Grass Head People
What You’ll Need
- Grass seed
- Potting mix
- Old nylon stocking
- Tennis ball
- Permanent marker
- Yogurt cups, baby food jars, or other items to serve as a reservoir and their bodies
- Optional: googly eyes, felt, or other materials for decorating
Create Your Grass Head
1. Place a couple tablespoons of grass seed in the toe of the stocking
2. Fill the toe with soil to create the head OR
Add enough soil to cover the seeds and insert the tennis ball to create a perfect round head. Add enough topsoil to the stocking to cover the tennis ball. It’s easier for shaping and you’ll need less soil.
3. Tie a knot in the stocking just below the head. Place the end of the stocking in the yogurt or baby food jar. The stocking “tail” serves as a wick moving the water from the reservoir into the soil. Keep water in the reservoir and make sure the soil stays moist.
4. Decorate the grass head with permanent markers, felt pieces, googly eyes, and other items to create a face.
5. Cover the yogurt cup or glass jar with ribbon, construction paper, or other items to create clothes for your grass head.
6. The grass “hair” will soon sprout and grow. Use scissors to give your grass head a hair cut as needed.
7. Enjoy and be careful as you may find grass heads sprouting up throughout your house and garden.
October 19 & 20
Home & Remodeling Show
West Allis, WI
The Clearing Folk School - Door County
Ellison Bay, WI
The Conservancy for Healing & Heritage